Director of Plastic & Reconstructive Clinic “HYGEIA” HOSPITAL
Academics & Education
- Medical School University of Athens (1971)
- American Board of Surgery (1977)
- Certificate of specialization in General Surgery in Greece (1979)
- American Board of Plastic Surgery (1980)
- Certificate of specialization in Plastic Surgery in Greece (1981)
- PhD (degree “excellent”) Thesis: Microsurgical reconstruction of the severely injured lower extremity, free tissue transfers.
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery
- World Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery (Executive Council Member)
- Hellenic Society of Plastic Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
- Hellenic Society for Hand & Upper Extremity Surgery (Founding Member – Chairman)
- Senologic Hellenic Society
- Hellenic Society for Head and Neck oncology
- Resident in Vascular Surgery Clinic at “KAT” HOSPITAL, 1971-1972
- Resident in Surgery, Buffalo General Hospital New York State University at Buffalo, USA, 1972-1973
- Resident in Plastic Surgery, Case Western Reserve University Cleveland, Ohio, USA, 1976-1978
- Senior Instructor of Plastic Surgery Case Western Reserve University Cleveland, Ohio, USA 1978-1980
- Assistant Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA, 1980-1995
- Director of Plastic & Reconstructive Clinic At “HYGEIA” HOSPITAL, 1988 till today.
- Member of the Scientific Faculty in Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA. Daily training of students and residents in Plastic Surgery.
- For 30 years participation in teaching and hands on experience at the Microsurgical Seminar organized by the Orthopedic Department of the University of Ioannina.
- Participation in the educational program of the Plastic and Reconstructive Clinic at “AGIOS SAVVAS” HOSPITAL. “Facial Nerve Paralysis” , 6 March, 2001.
- Participation in the educational program at “GENIMATAS” HOSPITAL, Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Clinic, “Peripheral nerve”, 14 March, 2001.
- Organizing 11 Educational Seminars, on: “Flap preparation in living tissues”.
Special Clinical and Research Interest
- Breast Reconstruction after mastectomy
- Free Flaps in Reconstructive Microsurgery
- Facial Nerve paralysis
- Congenital anomalies of the Hand
- Chairman of the Scientific Council at the 11th Congress of the International Microsurgery Society, Rhodes 1992.
- Chairman of the Scientific Council at the 4th Hellenic Congress of Plastic, Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery, Athens 1999.
- Chairman of the Editorial Board of the INFO – PLASTIC SURGERY.
- Chairman of the Scientific Council of the World Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery Congress WSRM, Athens 2007.
- Chairman of the Scientific Council Pre- WSRM meeting, Bucharest 2011.
- Earle A.S., Vlastou C. Crossed Finger and Other Tests of Ulnar Nerve Motor Function. J. Hand Surgery 5:560-565, 1980
- Vlastou C. and Earle A.S. Intraoperative Heparin in Replantation Surgery – An Experimental Study. Annals of Plastic Surgery 10(2):112-114, February 1983
- Vlastou C., Earle A.S. A simple Method of Controlling Skeletal Rotation in Replanted Digits. J. of Reconstructive Microsurgery. 1(2):147-148, October 1984
- Vlastou C. Earle A.S. Volar Cross Finger Flap for Coverage of Thumb Defects. J. Hand Surgery 10A: 566-569, 1985
- Vlastou C., Earle A.S. Avulsion Injuries of the Thumb. J. Hand Surgery 11:51-56, January, 1986
- Vlastou C., Earle A.S. Short Saphenous Vein Grafts as an Aid to Microsurgical reconstruction of the Lower Extremity. J. of Reconstructive Microsurgery 4:145-154, 1988
- Vlastou C., Earle A.S. Beyond Replantation: Microsurgical Salvage of Complex Hand Injuries. Orthopedic Review, 14:139-146, 1987
- Adelstein D.J. Sharan V.M., Earle A.S., Shah AC, Vlastou C, Haria CD, Carter SG, Damn C, Hines J.D. Long Term Results after chemo – radiotherapy for Locally Confirmed Squamous – cell Head and Neck Cancer. Am. J. Clin. Oncol (CCT) 13(5):440-447, 1990
- Vlastou C., Earle A.S., Jordan R. Vein grafts in Reconstructive Microsurgery of the Lower Extremity. Microsurgery 13:234-235, 1992
- Vlastou C. Alternatives in soft tissue reconstruction of the ankle and foot Acta Orthop. Scand. (Suppl 264) 66:27-30, 1995
- Vlastou C. Facial Paralysis Microsurgery, 26:278-287,2006
- Papagelopoulos P.J., Maurogenis AF, Mastorakos DP, Vlastou C, Vrouvas J, Soucacos PN. Free Vascularized tissue transfer and brachytherapy for soft tissue sarcomas of the extremities injury, Vol 39 Suppl.3: §83-§89, September, 2008.